Varicose veins can be subject not only veins in the legs – similar changes are possible in veins:
- of the esophagus and stomach;
- pelvic organs in women;
- the left spermatic cord and testicle in men.
But the reasons for the development of all of these types of varices are totally different. Therefore, prevention is radically different.
In this article we consider only measures that prevent the most common form of varicose veins – the defeat of the lower extremities. Besides the fact that it is 70% in the General morbidity structure, only its prevention is really effective.
A comprehensive approach to prevent the development of varicose veins of the legs leads to:
- Decide whether prophylaxis – indications
- Pay attention to the shoes
- Pick the right work
- Be active, but remember about the rest
- Normalize weight and eat right
- Say "no" to harmful habits
- Do not be lazy to lose weight the gym
- Make a draining massage of the legs
- Wear compression stockings
- Sometimes you need the drugs
- The prognosis of prevention
Prevention of any disease, including varicose veins of the legs, nothing is easier compared to treatment. But if you do it correctly and in full, you can either do to prevent the occurrence of the disease, or prevent severe consequences.
Only hard work can give the maximum effect. This is especially true for people with high risk of developing varicose veins in the legs. Prevention of this disease must become an integral part of life, some pleasant everyday habit. In fact, nothing complicated in it.
For all matters relating to the prevention of varicose disease of the lower extremities, please contact the vascular surgeon or phlebologist.
Decide whether prophylaxis – indications
The main risk for the development of varicose veins of the legs, in need of specific prevention – it's people:
- Having a family history – close relatives with this disease.
- Women suffering from dishormonal disorders of ovarian.
- Pregnant and have given birth.
- Persons associated with heavy physical work, long staying in a stationary standing or seated position (especially a profession and a sedentary lifestyle).
- Lovers to walk in high heels, a hot tub, sauna, spicy food and alcoholic beverages.
- Persons with presence of characteristic ˮvenarumˮ complaints: swelling of the legs of the ankles in the evening, cramps and pain in the calf muscles, heaviness of the legs, reinforced venous pattern, vascular mesh.
The most important risk factors for varicose veins is genetic predisposition, pregnancy and dishormonal disorders in women. All other preconditions alone are not able to cause disease, but, reinforced at key, accelerate its appearance and weight for.
Pay attention to the shoes
The question of selecting the right shoes to a greater extent for women, but for men it is also relevant. Optimum these shoes:
- convenient and comfortable (to avoid crushed feet and legs, but not too free);
- should not be high thin heels – the best 4-5 cm;
- use insoles-arch supports;
- do not constantly walk in the shoes on a flat sole.
Pick the right work
The issue of job change is not always easy to solve, even if we are talking about health. But if the risk of varicose veins in the legs too big, or there were early signs of the disease, it is better to follow the preventive recommendations:
- Eliminate or minimize the hard work associated with physical strain on the abdominal wall and lower limbs.
- Not a lot of time continuously (more than 2-3 hours) to spend in a stationary standing or sitting position.
- Contraindicated weightlifting and other strength sports.
The basic rule – the conditions must be such that the blood in the legs does not stagnate and do not put excess pressure on the walls of the veins. Most venous stasis pronounced when the feet are situated vertically downward of the feet and calf muscles fixed (when a person stands or sits in one position).
Be active, but remember about the rest
Physical inactivity (sedentary lifestyle) contributes to the development of varicose veins of the legs. Therefore, we need to fight it:
- do morning exercises;
- do not be lazy to go walk in the fresh air;
- exercise or sports related exercises for legs and feet (walking, running, swimming, Cycling, aerobics).
But overwork is not worth it. Do not forget about the rest, you should sleep about 8 hours a day, alternate periods of activity with periods of rest. The muscles of back surface of Shin play the role of a pump which propels the blood through the veins in the opposite direction to gravity (upward). The load which they experience is great. To cope with it can only the muscles that have restored the reserves of energy after a busy day.
Normalize weight and eat right
The lower limbs of people suffering from obesity, experience high loads. Therefore, weight reduction is prevention of varicose veins, as it reduces everyday tension veins in the legs. For this you can use different methods, but be sure to stick to these dietary recommendations:
- Limit fatty food of animal origin (pork, duck, fatty sour cream, eggs) and digestible carbohydrates (pastries, white bread, rolls, cakes, pies).
- Discard spices and spicy food.
- Eat a moderate amount of fluids and minimize salt.
- Enrich diet with plant foods: vegetables, fruits, oils (Flaxseed, olive, sunflower).
Say "no" to harmful habits
The most common bad habits – Smoking and alcohol abuse – by themselves do not cause varicose veins, but in combination with other aggravating factors they contribute to its emergence and progression. Therefore, the wicked should abandon them. Do it yourself is not easy. If necessary, seek help from a doctor-narcologist.
Do not be lazy to lose weight the gym
Any activity people who have the background to varicose veins in the legs, should be combined with periods of unloading. All you need is 5-10 minutes to devote to performing simple leg exercises at least 1-2 times a day and always in the evening after his graduation. It does not need a separate room or special conditions.
Most of the exercises fasting gymnastics you can perform on the job:
- In the sitting position, perform 10-20 flexor et extensor movements alternately with each foot, so that the rear muscle groups of the lower leg is maximally reduced and relaxed.
- If you've been sitting, stand up and move around, better just up the stairs. You can also walk on level ground, simulating walking up the stairs – in step, step, heel to toe, to calf muscles were well reduced and relaxed.
- In the standing position stand on the toes, hold this position for a few seconds and get down on the heel. Perform the following steps first both legs at the same time (several times), and then alternately with each foot, so that when the right rises on the toe, left standing on the heel, and Vice versa.
- If possible, sit or lie down and position your feet on some kind of support to a position higher than the pelvis (for example, put your feet on the chair, on the table, on the wall).
Unloading exercises intended for prevention of varicose veins of the legs, really basic and effective. Everything you need – do not be lazy to do these exercises.
Make a draining massage of the legs
The meaning of haurientes foot massage – to improve blood flow in the superficial and deep veins. Do it yourself even in the evening after work, but if possible, it is and its for.
Elementary techniques of self-massage haurientes:
- Sit down, put your foot sole on the ground level, where you sit, so she was slightly bent at the knee (less than 90).
- Rubbing movements massage the skin and muscles in the direction from the toes to the genu iuncturam around the entire circumference.
- Grasp the foot with both hands so that the thumbs were located on the back, and all the rest – on the plantar surface.
- Push the sides of the segment which is wrapped around the fingers, and gradually move them upwards in the course of the tibia for genu iuncturam. During the transition to the new site gradually squeeze it for a few seconds then relax your hands and move them above.
- Clasp your fingers brush the side surface of the heel. Squeeze the fabric with your fingers for a few seconds, relaxing your fingers, move them upward on the sides of the Achilles tendon and calf muscles towards the knee.
- Pat drumsticks with both hands in the upward direction.
The total duration of the session haurientes self-massage is about 10 minutes. After it is desirable to perform the exercise ˮbirchˮ (3 to 5 minutes to place the feet as high as possible, and the best heels vertically up).
Wear compression stockings
Special products of compression hosiery is best strengthen weakened or changed varicose veins of the legs, and do not allow their expansion. This prevention method works the better the more you use individually chosen compression hosiery. Wear it daily before you get out of bed after sleep. At the end of the day, when the load on the legs will be less products need to be removed.
What to look for when choosing compression hosiery:
- It needs to be comfortable for everyday use. Modern products meet all the requirements – they are thin (like nylon stockings), and compress well evenly fabric, elegant look and durable. Better buy a Jersey of this type than conventional elastic bandages or hosiery crassus.
- Choose the right product. This can be tights, stockings and socks.
- Pay attention to the class of compression – the force that squeezes the knit fabric. For prevention you can use the special preventive knitwear (class zero compression) or treatment, but only the first compression class.
Sometimes you need the drugs
Medicamental prophylaxis of varices is shown to persons of high risk group (having a lot of prerequisites to enlargement of veins) or having a typical "venous symptoms" (they are described in the section "Decide whether prophylaxis – indications").
Remember: ointments and gels provide fast, but short-term effect, but the pills are starting to work slowly but are long lasting. Therefore, topical preparations can be used daily, and drugs for internal use – in the form of preventive courses of 2 times a year lasting about a month.
The prognosis of prevention
The table reflects forecast the potential effectiveness prevent the development of varicose veins in the legs, given the risk of disease.
|A predisposition to varicose veins||Percentage of cases, if prophylaxis is complete||What will happen without the full prevention|
|Low||Less than 5% – mild varicose veins||Sick 95%: mild forms – 45%, moderate – 50%|
|Reasonable||30%: light – 20%, average severity – 10%||Sick 99%: average weight – 65%, severe 34% of|
|High||50%: medium and light forms – 40%, difficult 10%||Sick of it all: the average severity of 60%, severe course – 40%|
If you don't want to get varicose veins – do some prevention!