Treatment of varicose veins on the legs with the help of medications does not always has a positive effect.
It is especially difficult to cure varicosity if it is in an advanced stage. In this case, surgical intervention was the only option to eliminate pathology.
For many people the operation to be a terrible procedure, so they are a long time afraid to go to the doctor, relying on some forms of home treatment. The disease continues to progress and the patient's condition to deteriorate.
Operation for varicosity of lower extremities is assigned under the following circumstances:
- if saphenous vein is increased due to physiological pathology;
- if the disease is in an advanced stage, when treatment varicosity medicines or folk remedies does not help;
- in the formation of trophic ulcers on the skin;
- if violations occur vascular blood circulation, in which the patient experiences constant fatigue, quickly gets tired, feels pain and heaviness in the legs;
- a acute thrombophlebitis;
- if you have any trophic skin lesions.
For some patients, surgery on varicose veins in the legs may be contraindicated. Barriers to surgical intervention are:
- a serious infectious disease;
- coronary artery disease;
- the patient's age (over 70 years);
- skin diseases – eczema, erysipilatous inflammations, etc.;
- the second half of pregnancy.
Surgery is the most effective and safe treatment option varicosity. An experienced doctor will be able to quickly remove the pathology, and the patient will return to a normal life without suffering was causing him sickness.
The type of surgery depends on the individual characteristics of the disease. Some types of operations, suitable for one person may not work for another. Before surgery, the doctor examines the form of the disease, symptoms and likelihood of complications.
The most time consuming and complex procedure associated with high likelihood of complications is phlebectomy surgery to remove varicose veins. It is prescribed only in cases when other treatments are not able to exert any favorable effect.
In the process of this operation in the groin area of the patient make a small (3-5 mm) incisions, through which the affected vein ligated in the place where it empties into the deep vein, then cut and pulled from the legs by means of special probes. After removal of the veins on the cuts imposed absorbable sutures. The operation lasts 1 to 2 hours, while the patient is in hospital less than a day, then go home.
Kind phlebectomies is a procedure as miniphlebectomy, where on the body are not made the cuts, and punctures. This method allows to operate with less injury to the skin and to reduce the period of rehabilitation.
Expoliantes is another kind of surgical treatment of varicosity. In the course of this procedure extracted all of Vienna not completely, but only a portion of it that was exposed to varicose expansion. The removal is carried out through punctures in the skin, which avoids suturing.
Less traumatic method of surgical intervention is considered sclerotherapy. It lies in the fact that with the help of ultrasound determines the exact location of the expanded veins, which enter a special substance (sclerosant). This substance glues the affected blood vessels, preventing the flow of blood on them. After the operation, to place the patient's veins formed scar tissue, decrease of edema. The patient ceases to feel heaviness and pain in the legs, and if you've had ulcers, they'll heal quickly.
Sclerotherapy is of two types:
- Echo-sclerotherapy deduxit. This operation is used if the affected vein diameter reached 1 cm or more. First, veins are examined with the help of a special device – a duplex scanner, then under his control made the puncture, and then is injected into a vein sclerosant. This procedure allows to reduce the diameter of the affected vessel and restore normal blood flow in it.
- Sclerosing foam. The most safe and completely painless form of sclerotherapy. In the affected vessels are injected with a special foam, which fills it and stops the flow of blood inside the vessel.
For maximum effect, typically, several treatments of sclerotherapy. Recurrence of varicosity after it almost never happens.
Surgery to remove the varicosity of leg veins by laser is considered the most technologically advanced kind of struggle with varicosity and helps to eliminate pathologic dilatation in 90% of cases. During this procedure, incisions tissue not made, allowing you to avoid cosmetic defects.
Through a puncture in the skin type of laser light guide, which emits light waves. Under their action, there is a dissolution of the patient's vessel. This method has a low number of relapse – recurrence of varicosity formation occurs only in 5% of patients.
Similar to laser coagulation treatment for varicosity is radio contritio. The essence of the method is the impact on the patient's vein of microwaves that heat the vessel, causing it to "welding". This method of treatment is considered most easy and painless. It can be applied in severe cases when the veins reach large sizes.
Possible consequences and status in the postoperative period
Almost all kinds of operations to eliminate varicosity of the legs, are safely and cause any complications in very rare cases.
The highest probability of complications and severe leakage of the rehabilitation period occurs when phlebectomies. In the area of remote vein may occur bruising, and sometimes cuts can bleed, as there are other tributaries of the veins.
2-3 days after surgery, some patients may increase temperature. This is due to aseptic inflammation in the blood that accumulates under the skin.
If the accumulated blood will be very much on the veins may form lumps, painful to the touch. If the skin over the clumps acquired a reddish tone, then began a bacterial inflammation. In this case you will need urgent hospitalization.
Other possible complications after surgery may include:
- Numbness of the skin, pain. They occur, if during the operation were damaged nerve endings. Over time, the pain will disappear and skin sensitivity will be restored.
- Bruises. Formed by phlebectomies, since it is quite traumatica operation. After some time, usually not more than a month, they completely disappear. When minimally invasive treatments (sclerotherapy or laser coagulation) bruises are almost never remain.
- Swelling. They can appear, if the patient should not be prescribed in the postoperative period – a lot of moves, doesn't wear special clothes or exposes himself to great physical stress.
After surgery, most patients lead an inactive lifestyle. Due to inactivity may occur such a dangerous phenomenon of acute deep vein thrombosis of the lower extremities. To prevent it, you must do special exercises, diet and take medicines to prevent thrombosis.
Rehabilitation after removal of varicosity of the lower extremities
Compliance with the physician in the postoperative period is the most important part of treatment and prevention of recurrence of varicosity. Most patients are encouraged to:
- Tightly bandaged leg with an elastic bandage.
- To wear special compression garments – stockings or tights.
- Do not lift more than 10 kg first six months after surgery.
- Exercise moderate physical activity – Jogging, swimming, Biking.
- To control body weight if you have problems with excess weight.
- Every year pass course admission venotonic drugs.
Within 3 days after the surgery, patients are strictly prohibited to smoke and to drink alcohol, sunbathe, lift weights, drive a car and to take a hot bath.
When the pain in the operated leg can help a light massagewhich was carried out independently.
Recommendations for the prevention of recurrence
Even if the operation to remove the varicosity of the veins was carried out successfully, there is always a risk of recurrence of the disease. To minimize the likelihood of recurrence, it is necessary to observe preventive measures:
- lead an active lifestyle doing sports, often walk in the fresh air;
- in a seated position need to ensure that the posture was smooth, not to put one foot on the other, as it leads to violations of venous blood flow;
- to fight obesity;
- moderately consume coffee and tea;
- every morning, perform gymnastics feet;
- abandon too tight and tight shoes and clothes.
Varicose veins is a disease which even after a complete cure requires adherence to a certain lifestyle.
Preventive measures after the operation will need to comply with not the first few months and throughout life. The only way to normalize the status of your body and eliminate the possibility of recurrence of the disease.