Varicose veins of the legs is a violation of the outflow of blood from tissues due to vascular stenosis and functional failure of the venous valves. Stagnation of blood in the vessels leads to trophic changes, the formation of blood clots, deep ulcerative defects. The fight against varicose veins of the legs takes place under the supervision of a phlebologist, partly a vascular surgeon (vein specialist).
Several groups of drugs are used in the form of ointments, tablets for oral administration. The use of drugs is strictly in the system, since the chances of a successful cure for vein problems are higher. When using only ointments or exclusively tablets, the effect is incomplete.
What ointments or gels should be used to treat varicose veins in the legs and restore blood flow?
Main directions of blood disease treatment
Therapy for varicose veins of the legs is complex, aimed at solving several problems:
- Elimination of the inflammatory process. The release of special mediators leads to an inflammatory process in the tissues. Hence the visual increase in the lower extremities, pain, discomfort and heaviness.
- Removal of puffiness. The venous-lymphatic outflow in the vessels is disturbed, fluid accumulates at the local level.
- Restoring adequate blood flow in the legs. It is achieved by stimulating the full contraction of blood vessels, activating the work of venous valves.
- Relief of pain syndrome, severity with varicose veins of the legs, discomfort of a different kind.
- Normalization of blood rheological properties. Restoration of adequate fluidity of fluid connective tissue. The blood thinning should not be excessive.
The use of ointments, creams makes it possible to achieve results at the local level. Local violations are eliminated. Selectivity, however, does not allow us to tackle the root cause of the condition. This treatment is incomplete. Ultimately, therapy comes down to restoring the functional activity of the lower extremities and preventing complications.
Groups of ointments and gels for varicose veins of the legs
Selection of pharmaceutical types of medicines is carried out on the basis of the directions indicated above.
Elimination of the inflammatory process
It is carried out using two groups of drugs: anti-inflammatory non-steroidal origin, as well as steroid drugs of general action.
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (or NSAIDs) are used primarily.
There is no fundamental difference between them. These are ointments against the inflammatory component of varicose veins of the legs with a narrow spectrum of action. Apply 1-3 times a day, depending on the severity of the process, with light, circular movements. More intensive use is unacceptable for treatment purposes, since the active ingredients will begin to be absorbed into the blood through large vessels.
Also, do not use ointments based on anti-inflammatory substances in the presence of trophic ulcers. Open wounds do not allow the use of ointments against varicose veins of the legs. After epithelialization (healing), you can resort to using them.
The effect of NSAIDs is based on the ability to reduce the sensitivity of receptors to the effects of inflammatory mediators. Pain, discomfort and heaviness are eliminated.
Steroids are used as a last resort. Only if NSAIDs are ineffective. Inflammation and pain are stopped, and local tissue nutrition is improved. It is not used in large quantities, due to the possibility of provoking side effects of a generalized nature.
Removal of puffiness
Corticosteroid medications are used to treat edema. Complex agents with anti-inflammatory, venotonic and healing effects are also prescribed.
Restoration of normal blood flow in the legs with varicose veins
Ointments and gels with phlebotonic (venotonic) action are shown. The action of such drugs is based on the ability to stimulate the contraction of the vascular walls, the work of the venous valves.
Some agents are stronger than others, due to the greater concentration of the active ingredient. It is better to trust the doctor in the matter of choice, he will select an ointment based on the "neglect" of the condition.
Application course. You should not count on a rapid result, it is achieved after a few weeks. The manufacturers themselves indicate the need for complex use, along with tablet medicines. The duration of one therapeutic course is 25-30 days, then a break and a new course. The frequency is not limited, it is determined by the severity of the general condition. The launched process requires almost continuous use of ointments against varicose veins of the legs.
Elimination of pain syndrome
Discomfort, pain is eliminated with the help of local analgesics. These are complex remedies for the simultaneous fight against pain and inflammation. There are few pure analgesics in the form of an ointment or cream on the pharmaceutical market.
The scope of application of these ointments, gels, creams is wide and is not limited to varicose veins of the legs. They are applied according to the instructions, up to 3 times a day for 7-12 days, then a break is required. The appointment of analgesics alone is impractical. They stop the symptoms, fight the consequences when the cause is not affected.
Normalization of blood rheological properties
Assumes the appointment of venotonics, as well as blood thinners. However, these funds are used with caution, since it is possible to increase the permeability of blood vessels, the development of their fragility and, as a result, local bleeding, hematomas, aggravation of varicose veins of the legs.
Complex ointments for varicose veins of the legs
These drugs have a systemic effect. They solve several problems at once. In the case of early treatment of varicose veins of the legs, this is especially convenient: there is no need to buy dozens of ointments, apply them by the hour. The most suitable drug will be selected by a specialist.
Basic principles of therapy
How to properly apply ointments and gels for varicose veins of the legs in order to achieve maximum effect in a short time?
- Do not prescribe treatment yourself. It is necessary to take into account the mass of nuances. If you have varicose veins of the legs, you should contact a phlebologist, surgeon or vascular surgeon.
- Follow the instructions and advice of your doctor strictly. When an insufficient dosage is prescribed, the therapeutic effect will not occur. An excess of ointment will lead to the penetration of active components into the bloodstream, side effects will occur. The beneficial effect will no longer be.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of ointments. In the absence of improvement, consult a doctor again to revise the course. The approximate period after which it is possible to judge the adequacy of the treatment is 7-10 days.
- If you experience side effects, including drug intolerance, ask for a revision of the therapeutic course.
- Pain may indicate blood clots. To exclude the process, you need to contact a specialist again.
Ointments, gels, creams for varicose veins of the legs are prescribed in combination with drugs in tablet form. Combinations of the ointments themselves are possible. For monotherapy, many of the names on the market are not suitable. In order to achieve a qualitative effect of treatment, it is recommended to consult a doctor.