Varicose veins require complex treatment, which includes drug therapy and the use of conservative and surgical methods. One of the ways to relieve the symptoms of the disease is massage for varicose veins.
There are many techniques available to improve vein health and reduce congestion. However, experts do not recommend using them without consulting your doctor, since an incorrectly selected massage for varicose veins can exacerbate symptoms and lead to serious complications.
Is it possible to do massage for varicose veins?
Violation of venous circulation in the lower extremities is caused by the weakness of the veins, but the primary source of the disease is often insufficient muscle tension. That is why doctors consider massage for varicose veins as a fairly effective method of preventing and treating the disease.
A course therapy consisting of 10-12 sessions is required for a noticeable improvement in the state of blood vessels and reduction of symptoms.
The main task for varicose veins is to reduce the load on the walls of blood vessels and increase their tone. In addition to drugs, this can be done using conservative methods. Even a classic relaxing massage for varicose veins can significantly improve the patient's condition.
With the right technique you can:
- improve the general condition of blood vessels by increasing the venous wall;
- increase venous blood flow and reduce the load on the veins by increasing muscle tone;
- to reduce congestion in soft tissues by increasing microcirculation;
- relieve puffiness by increasing lymph outflow.
By official standards, only certain types of massage can be done for varicose veins. In addition, when choosing them, it is necessary to focus on the patient's current condition, stage of the disease and associated complications.
Unfortunately, such factors are often overlooked, and many women do not think about the consequences of the procedures. They do not consult with a doctor about whether it is possible to do anti-cellulite massage with varicose veins, but rely on the choice of a massage parlor employee.
Even a certified specialist cannot assess all the risks in patients with varicose veins. At best, before the first session, he will ask for a certificate from a doctor, at worst, he will ignore the presence of varicose veins.
Phlebologists say that foot massage with varicose veins should be done with extreme caution, especially if the disease progresses.
It is believed that improper physical impact on soft tissues and blood vessels can provoke complications:
- additional stretching of the veins with the formation of large "pockets" in which blood clots can form;
- rupture of the vessel wall with subsequent bleeding;
- inflammation of the vascular wall;
- detachment of a thrombus that can float along the venous network to the internal organs.
Before deciding whether it is possible to do massage for varicose veins, the patient needs to undergo a preliminary examination, during which conditions can be found that prevent the use of this method of therapy.
There can be several contraindications for massage of the lower extremities with varicose veins: from existing skin lesions in the area of the intended impact to systemic pathologies that can instantly lead to complications during physical action on tissues.
The absolute reasons why massage techniques should not be used for varicose veins of the legs are:
- Acute inflammatory and infectious processes. Direct physical impact in such diseases can provoke the spread of infection or thrombosis.
- Thrombophlebitis or a tendency to form blood clots. During the session, a blood clot may break with the subsequent development of ischemic stroke, myocardial infarction or thromboembolism of internal organs (most often lungs).
- Hypertension grade 3. The increase in blood pressure puts additional stress on the veins and increases the volume of venous blood. Excessive stretching of the vessel walls and rupture may occur.
- Atherosclerotic vascular changes. The procedure can cause a lipid plaque to separate and trigger thrombosis, ischemia, and other complications.
It is strictly forbidden to massage the lower extremities with varicose veins in patients who suffer from dermatitis and other skin diseases in the area of exposure.
Besides the unconditional, the method has relative contraindications. For example, a procedure using certain oils or external preparations is not performed for those who suffer from individual intolerance to the funds.
The list of contraindications may also depend on the type of massage:
- a contraindication to LPG massage for varicose veins, vacuum and anti-cellulite techniques is a subcompensated process;
- hydromassage is not used for signs of trophic ulcer formation;
- impulse exposure using household electronic devices is contraindicated in arrhythmias and other heart diseases, epilepsy.
Important!Do not hide from the specialist or the attending physician concomitant or underlying diseases that may cause a refusal to conduct a session. This can turn into dangerous consequences for health and life.
Types of massage for varicose veins
There are several types of foot massage for varicose veins, which have individual characteristics and therefore are used at different stages of the disease and for various concomitant health disorders. There are not many techniques with a predominance of pronounced anti-varicose action. Most types of foot massage for varicose veins are borrowed from cosmetology practice. This is a procedure with cupping and exposure to vacuum, lymphatic drainage and modern LPG hardware techniques, hydromassage and others.
The use of cupping massage for varicose veins of the lower extremities is allowed only at stage 1, in which there are no signs of decompensation (visible veins, tissue ischemia). With developing venous insufficiency, the vacuum created by banks helps to normalize capillary and venous blood flow, removes edema and helps to normalize tissue nutrition. In later stages, as well as in chronic varicose veins, any types of vacuum massage for varicose veins, including canned ones, are contraindicated.
The use of LPG massage for varicose veins - a more modern apparatus vacuum technique - shows excellent results at stages 1 and 2 of the disease. With chronic and rapidly progressing varicose veins, this technique is contraindicated.
The use of gentle techniques of lymphatic drainage massage for varicose veins of the legs is justified at any stage of the disease, since it is accompanied by stagnant processes.
With the help of hardware or mechanical lymphatic drainage, significant improvement can be achieved in several ways:
- elimination of puffiness;
- improvement of tissue nutrition and reduction of ischemic changes;
- restoration of venous blood flow;
- elimination of muscle spasms and reduction of soreness.
As for the popular anti-cellulite foot massage, for varicose veins, it can be used very carefully, and only in the absence of superficial dilated veins and pronounced ischemic changes. In the initial stages of the disease, any technique of this type of therapy will be useful, especially if the patient is overweight.
With varicose veins, the anti-cellulite effect should not be accompanied by tissue heating. Massage for patients with such a diagnosis is recommended to do without the use of warming ointments and preliminary warming up of the limbs.
Hydromassage of legs for varicose veins is possible at any stage of the disease. It can be carried out in salons and specialized clinics, as well as at home. A special hydromassage bathtub or a shower head with several water pressure modes can act as a hydromassage.
Along with ordinary warm water, you can use healing solutions during the procedures:
- essential oils with a firming and tonic effect;
- decoctions of chamomile or calendula;
- with severe leg fatigue, you can use decoctions with a relaxing effect (mint, rosemary).
With varicose veins, you can also use mechanical household massagers for legs, equipped with pimples, soft needles or a vibrating attachment. Such devices are most effective at the initial stage of varicose veins, and in case of chronic severe venous damage, it helps to alleviate the symptoms of the disease.
Foot massage for varicose veins at home
Home (independent) anti varicose massage is an affordable and completely free alternative for those who cannot visit a clinic or massage parlor for various reasons. Self-massage of the legs with varicose veins is the same necessity as taking medications orally and using external agents.
However, in order for the exposure not to harm the vessels, a number of rules should be followed:
- before performing a massage for varicose veins, consult a doctor and follow his recommendations;
- carefully study the literature describing different techniques and choose the type of exposure in accordance with the current state and degree of varicose veins;
- study contraindications and soberly assess your condition, not ignoring the signs of changes that are an obstacle to the use of massage techniques.
To perform leg massage at home with varicose veins, you will need not only theoretical knowledge, but also special devices: a massager, creams and gels, a special shower head (if hydromassage is selected), as well as compression underwear, which should be put on immediately after the session. . . It is advisable to purchase them in specialized stores.
The algorithm for performing massage of the lower limbs with varicose veins is standard for any type of procedure:
- Rest and relief of the circulatory system of the limbs. It is recommended to lie down 10-30 minutes before the start of the session, placing your feet on a pillow or roller so that they are slightly above the level of the heart.
- It is necessary to start the procedure immediately after rest, without getting up or moving. It is enough to sit on a comfortable chair or the edge of the bed with your feet flat on the floor.
- Before doing a foot massage, an anti-varicose agent (any venotonic cream or ointment prescribed by a doctor) should be applied to the skin. It is not necessary to distribute it over the entire surface of the legs - it is enough to squeeze the drug into the palm of your hand and slightly warm it.
- It is necessary to start the impact from the lower part of the legs, gradually rising from the feet to the hips.
- It is necessary to perform movements smoothly, without sudden jerks and pressure. The range of motion is wide. When performing hydromassage, circular movements of limited amplitude are performed.
- In places where spider veins and protruding veins are visible, the degree of pressure on the tissue should be minimal.
Each leg must be massaged for at least 20 minutes, after which they take the starting position - lying down with slightly raised legs - and remain in it for 10-15 minutes. After that, you can put on the compression garments.
If during the session a burning sensation appears, the skin has acquired a pale shade, swelling and pain intensified, it should be stopped.
For the appearance of positive dynamics, at least 10 self-massage sessions are required. An interval of 1 or 2 days must be observed between individual treatments. Daily massage for varicose veins can provoke complications.